Re: [Exim] verify=header_syntax Buffer overflow (CAN-2004-04…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Exim-Users (E-mail)
CC: Nico Erfurth, Andreas Metzler
Subject: Re: [Exim] verify=header_syntax Buffer overflow (CAN-2004-0400)
On Thu, 6 May 2004, Philip Hazel wrote:

> My suspicion is that Some Other MTA (tm) allows it, just like it allows
> spaces between the name and the colon in alias files.

Thanks to google, I found it in an online Sendmail manual at

http://www.busan.edu/~nic/networking/sendmail/ch14_01.htm

14.1 Headers

The header configuration command begins with the letter H. Like all
configuration commands, the H is the first character on a line. The H is
then followed by the name of a header:

Hname: field

Here, name is the name of a header, such as Subject. The list of all
header names that are of interest to sendmail can be found in Chapter
35, Headers. The name is followed by a colon and then text that is
appropriate for the header. Optional whitespace can surround the colon.

Sigh.