Re: [Exim] question about smtp-traffic

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Dennis Skinner
A: Development - multi.art.studio
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] question about smtp-traffic
--
On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 09:42, Development - multi.art.studio wrote:
> Hello Denis,
>
> Dennis Skinner wrote:
>
> >There is a perl library you may find helpful: File::Tail. There used to
> >be a popb4smtp.pl script out there that I found useful for such things.
> >It seems that the owner of it has lost his webspace. I have a copy if
> >you would like to see it. I was able to modify it to use a db backend
> >instead of just touching files so it can be used in a multi-server
> >environment. I can send those modifications as well if you are
> >interested.
> >

> hmm, i think i know it, maybe we use the same script ;)
> i modified it to parse logged-in accounts from courier-imap/pop3 maillog
>
> it would be great for me to have this script in a modified version using
> database, like postgres,
> or mysql.
> i would be very grateful if you could send your script to me, or the list ;)

I have attached the perl script I use for popb4smtp. I originally
modified it to watch some of our RADIUS logs. I noticed a couple
problems with it.

First, it likes to die every once in a while (maybe once a week). A
simple watcher script written in bash takes care of that.

Second (at least in the RADIUS version of it, I have not checked the
popb4smtp version), it likes to hiccup (not die) and re-read the whole
log file. In the little time I was able to spare to research this
problem, I was unable to find the cause. Sometimes it would not hiccup
for days, and at other times several hiccups in 1 hour. I could not
correlate it with anything else running. This is the reason for date
and date2 in the db table. I only use date2 (which is the text date
from the log converted to mysql timestamp format) for comparisons.
Rotating your logs regularly and running the script to delete rows where
date2 older than XX mins will prevent the hiccups from causing problems.

If you find resolutions to these two problems, feel free to share them.
I have my hands full with other more pressing problems right now.

--
Dennis Skinner
Systems Administrator