Re: [Exim] roadrunner broke my new toy..

Author: Edgar Lovecraft
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] roadrunner broke my new toy..
Giuliano Gavazzi wrote:

..[snip]...

> >require verify = sender/callout=10s
> > message = unrouteable sender domain
> >
> >as per the spec.txt (38.22) tells me that this will spend 10 seconds on
> >this. Which is more than enough time. So I've found that I get this
> [...]
>
> who said that this is more then enough time? 10 seconds? Many busy
> servers take longer to display the banner, and don't forget many also
> lookup your IP address.

He would have gotten the 10s from the example I sent him on how to use
callouts, I did not comment on what time should be used.
I personally use 10s, I also use the defer_ok option with that (which was
also in the example).
Lastly, I get away with the 10s and defer OK on my server as I do not
reject messages that fail just that one check, there also has to be other
problems with the connetion as a whole. However, if you have proper DNS
PTR records, 10s to 30s timeout with the defer_ok option really should be
enough. It also depends on how busy your servers are, and how much time,
resources you think you can afford in delivery delays due to callout
checking.

--

--EAL--