Re: [Exim] EXIM Slow Sending, PLEASE HELP!

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Tim Jackson
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] EXIM Slow Sending, PLEASE HELP!
Hi David, on Sat, 1 May 2004 09:24:46 -0400 you wrote:

[Please reply on the list, and if you could quote properly that would help
an awful lot too.Thanks. http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html ]

> > Tim Jackson:
> > I think you need to firstly look at how you are injecting the messages
> > into Exim, as this may be a significant factor. Are you doing it by:
> > a) calling exim|sendmail on the command line?
> 1) I am using Option a. to send email. The script is called ARP3 from
> arp3.com.

OK, I don't know anything about this, but if it really is sending via
option A then I would look at trying to find an alternative that builds a
BSMTP file. However, if you must send using this option, queue_only should
help a lot, because otherwise Exim will be immediately forking a delivery
process for each message submitted (assuming that each subscriber receives
some kind of customised message, which is likely). This is a good way to
fill your process table quite quickly and probably not helpful.

> 1) A guy came to me today about a patch he has that he said that will
> speed it up for sure:
> http://simscripts.com/exim_multiple_interfaces_patch.html Is what he is
> proposing worth paying him $100 for or no?

From the description, I don't really see how that is going to improve
performance. The point of it seems to be to rotate around a number of
source IPs, the only benefit stated (and which I can see) being that it
might help avoid you ending up in SpamCop, but hopefully if you've
actually got a well-run mailing list then the incidence of that and the
consequences thereof should be limited.

> 2) If I were to queue_only, and setup a cron job to run for exim -q
> every minute, wouldn't the exim-q processes build up after a long time
> until they are out of control?

Possibly, yes. Bear in mind that the queue runners exit once they have
finished their run (they don't hang around forever), but depending on how
many and how often you started them there is a danger that by doing it
automatically you might swamp yourself. I have a feeling that others on
this list who have more experience with very large queues and large
numbers of queue runners might be able to offer some additional help.

Tim