Re: [Exim] question about smtp-traffic

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Development - multi.art.studio
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] question about smtp-traffic
On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Development - multi.art.studio wrote:

> hmmm, there is eximstat, i use it, but eximstat scans the logfiles (
> thats what i would like to prevent because of performance reasons and
> its not up2date )

1. What is the performance problem?

2. You can write a program/script that "tails" the log file. It is then
fully up-to-date.

> and wont get a live or regular update of traffic per
> user in a speicific file or database table or field.

You can write a command that does that, using the log data, if you want
to.

> * is it generally posible to write to a database from an exim transport
> or router, acl?

You can use updating SQL statements or ${run. If you are worried about
performance (as you mention above) I don't think this is a good idea.

> * is it possible to measure traffic for incoming/outgoing and
> accepted/successfully sent mails without scanning the logfiles, dine by
> exim at deliverytime?

No. Exim is designed to operate as a set of distributed processes
without a central controlling process. Therefore, there is no central
place where this data can be collected, other than the log file.

> maybe this would be a great feature

A separate process that "tails" the log file could provide this. As an
add-on, it means that the overhead would not be imposed on people who
don't want it. Furthermore, if it runs slowly, it won't hold up mail
delivery. But somebody will have to implement it...

Philip