Re: [Exim] lmtp transport: verifying address (LMTP callout)

Autor: Tor Slettnes
A: Andrzej Filip
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] lmtp transport: verifying address (LMTP callout)
On Apr 24, 2004, at 07:59, Andrzej Filip wrote:
> Is it possible to make exim verify recipient addresses delivered via
> lmtp (socket) transport ? [LMTP callout]
>
> I would like to make exim verify addresses delivered to Cyrus IMAP when
> accepting "RCPT TO:" command.

It is possible. You need to:
- use an SMTP transport ("smtp" driver), and set "protocol = lmtp"
- setup client authentication in Exim, authenticate as "cyrus" user
- use "verify = recipient/callout,defer_ok" in the appropriate ACL

However, I found it easier to deliver to a separate transport using the
"lmtp" driver (i.e. a local socket delivery), and then set up a
condition in the router as follows:

   cyrus_lmtp_router:
     debug_print   = "R: cyrus_lmtp for $local_part@$domain"
     driver        = accept
     domains       = +local_domains
     local_parts   = !root
     require_files = /var/spool/cyrus/mail/user/${lc::$local_part}
     transport     = cyrus_lmtp_transport

Two notes:
   - The user running Exim needs to have read/execute access in
     the directory /var/spool/cyrus/mail/user (in this example).
     On my Debian box, I do that by "adduser Debian-exim mail",
     ensuring that the directory belongs to the group "mail" and
     has "r" and "x" bits.

   - I presume that Cyrus is configured with "lmtp_downcase_rcpt: yes",
     and "hashimapspool: no".  If you DO hash the IMAP spool, as shipped,
     then change the condition above to:

        require_files =
/var/spool/cyrus/mail/${lc::${substr_0_1::$local_part}}/user/
${lc::$local_part}

It is a bit hackish.  If you prefer, you ought to be able to use the
"mbpath" command provided with Cyrus, in a manner similar to:
     condition     = ${run {/usr/sbin/mbpath -q -s
user.${lc::$local_part}}{1}{0}}

This introduces a process overhead for each local delivery. Also
ensure that the Exim user indeed can run 'mbpath'.

-tor