Re: [Exim] Using IMAP protocol to SEND email ??

Autor: Edgar Lovecraft
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Using IMAP protocol to SEND email ??
Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:

..[snip]...

> This is complete and utter rubbish. You may or may not have noticed, but
> major proportion of spam and virus spew appears to be from random dialup
> windows hosts on the end of DSL or modem lines. Networks which allow
> this kind of access are filtering tcp/25 at their borders to try and
> force this crap to go through their mail relays where they can stop it.
> If mail system administrators allow general delivery on tcp/587, then
> the networks will be forced to do the same for 587, which would make
> life hard for all of us who are trying to use it properly.

I said to use "SMTP Submission" that means to follow RFC 2476 which by
definition is restricted access as to who can submit messages to the
MSA. Just because a server has tcp 587 open and accepting SMTP messages
does not mean that the server is an MSA and following the RFC, it just
means that a server is accepting SMTP transactions on that port. Two
completely different things.

> > Inet. Also, "SMTP Submission" is not about using TCP 587, or 25, or
> > 8190, or any other port, "SMTP Submission" is the WAY that a message
> > is inserted into the MTA data stream (data stream being a generic
> > transport statement). An open-relay on ANY port is just that, an
> > open-relay, not an MSA server.
>
> Yes, and an open relay is nothing to do with what I'm talking about,

Yes it is.

> you're not reading what I'm actually saying. The point is that NO

You have not been reading what I said.

> non-authenticated mail must get through from port 587, it shouldn't
> matter whether it's for a local destination(not open relay) or
> remote(open relay), if it's not authenticated, it doesn't get through.

That is what I said.

> > <FROM_RFC_2476>
> [...]
> >    submissions.  The protocol used is ESMTP [SMTP-MTA, ESMTP], with
> >    additional restrictions as specified here.
> [...]
> > </FROM_RFC_2476>

> That's the really important bit,

That was whole bit.

> but given implementations of 25/tcp listeners and senders, somehow I
> don't hold out much hope...

Here again, that is something completely different.

Point is, setting a server to accept SMTP transactions on a non-standard
port whether that port be 587 or 9090, does not mean that you have
installed and MSA, it means that you installed an MTA on a port other than
port 25, that is something entirley different than installing an MSA as
defined in RFC 2476, also note that an MSA can use either 587 or 25 by the
RFC definition.

--

--EAL--