Re: [Exim] lmtp transport: verifying address (LMTP callout)

Author: Exim User's Mailing List
To: Andrzej Filip
CC: Exim User's Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Exim] lmtp transport: verifying address (LMTP callout)
[ On Saturday, April 24, 2004 at 16:59:36 (+0200), Andrzej Filip wrote: ]
> Subject: [Exim] lmtp transport: verifying address (LMTP callout)
>
> Is it possible to make exim verify recipient addresses delivered via
> lmtp (socket) transport ? [LMTP callout]
>
> I would like to make exim verify addresses delivered to Cyrus IMAP when
> accepting "RCPT TO:" command.

I find it a lot easier to go the other way around -- i.e. make the
mailer (or the system it runs upon) authoritative for which mailboxes
exist and which don't, and then I use a small patch to Cyrus IMAP which
allows it to automatically create INBOXes if they don't exist (using the
autocreatequota feature).

The easiest way this can be done is to simply create normal unix
accounts for every user and then run saslauthd with "-a getpwent".

For a virtual domain server this still works fine if the user's account
name has his or her domain name right in it (though you may have to make
sure your system is prepared to handle longer usernames ;-), provided
you can modify the way exim validates usernames by having it include the
"@" and the domain name portion when it does the username lookup.

--
                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                  VE3TCP            RoboHack <woods@???>