Re: [Exim] Re: 554 after 450 not counting as a reject?

Autor: Fred Viles
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Re: 554 after 450 not counting as a reject?
On 21 Apr 2004 at 9:11, Dan Egli wrote about
    "Re: [Exim] Re: 554 after 450 not co":

| Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
| > SC> should postfix be sending both a 4xx and 5xx?
| >
| > Yes. It received three commands. It should be (and is) sending three
| >
| > SC> if so, which should exim believe?
| >
| > The one that applies to the relevant command (which indeed is the one that it
| > reports believing).

| I don't see that. I see the rcpt command, then the data command.

But before RCPT there must have been a MAIL command. The OP just did
not include it in his log snippet.

| If the user is unknown now, why should they be known in
| say 4 hours?

Philip gave a likely explanation for the 450.

| The 554 response is just an extension of the 450.

No, it is a separate response to a separate command. The 250 was the
response to the MAIL command, the 450 was the response to the RCPT
command, and the 554 was the response to the DATA command.

PIPELINING had to be in effect for this session, so exim sent MAIL,
RCPT, and DATA before checking for replies.

- Fred