[Exim] Temporary errors reported as permanent (was: recently…

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: A. Wik
Ημερομηνία:
Υ/ο: exim-users
Παλιά Θέματα: Re: [Exim] recently getting smtp errors from gmx
Αντικείμενο: [Exim] Temporary errors reported as permanent (was: recently getting smtp errors from gmx)
On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Andreas J Mueller wrote:

> Hi Ralf!
>
> Tuesday, April 20, 2004, 4:54:10 PM, you wrote:
> > Well, it says why pretty clearly:
> > 553-5.7.1 {mx027} Your host's IP address does not resolve.
>
> Unfortunately, GMX gives a permanent error (553) even for temporary
> DNS lookup failures.

And many others return permanent error codes for transient
problems like "quota exceeded". I think it would be useful
if there were a way to control the action taken by Exim in
response to certain permanent errors, based on conditions
such as (destination) domain, IP, a regex match on the
error message and/or age of the message. Useful actions
I can think of right now would be: 1. treat the error as
transient (4xx) or 2. freeze the message (to give the admin
a chance to look into the problem).

-aw