Re: [Exim] Re: need help with smtp-auth client (exim4)

Author: Kjetil Torgrim Homme
To: exim-users
CC: Brent Russell Langille
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: need help with smtp-auth client (exim4)
On Mon, 2004-04-19 at 14:56 +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, Brent Russell Langille wrote:
>
> > so there is no way to override exim4's strict adherence to the RFC
> > standard? as i mentioned before i can connect with and submit
> > authorization with ximian evolution so somehow it it dealing with the
> > servers' misconfiguration.
>
> Maybe ximian is one of the non-standard clients? This is one case where
> I drew a line at non-standard support. Actually, the LOGIN mechanism
> itself is not standardised, but (a) it's widely used and (b) Exim can
> support it with the same authenticator that supports the standardised
> PLAIN mechanism.

here's the comment preceding the relevant code in Ximian Evolution:

/* Don't bother parsing any authtypes if we already have a list.
* Some servers will list AUTH twice, once the standard way and
* once the way Microsoft Outlook requires them to be:
*
* 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
* 250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
*
* Since they can come in any order, parse each list that we get
* until we parse an authtype list that does not use the AUTH=
* format. We want to let the standard way have priority over the
* broken way.
**/

no surprise who the real culprit is, eh?
--
Kjetil T.