Re: [Exim] primary_hostname in smtp_in.c and helo_data

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Philip Hazel
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Andreas Steinmetz
Υ/ο: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] primary_hostname in smtp_in.c and helo_data
On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Andreas Steinmetz wrote:

> from smtp_in.c of exim 4.32, line 2363:
>
>      s = string_sprintf("250 %s Hello %s%s%s",
>        primary_hostname,
>        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Not nice, if previously helo_data was set.

I do not understand. helo_data is an option on the smtp transport, used
for *outgoing* messages. It specifies what gets send in the outgoing EHLO
command.

The code in the line you cite is concerned with answering an *incoming*
message. Nothing to do with the smtp transport at all.

> Could primary_hostname be converted to an expanded string? The reasoning
> is that you may want to give away only a certain hostname for some
> interface or ip.

I guess something should be done, now that one host can masquerade as
several different hosts, using multiple interfaces. The single primary_
hostname goes back to the start of Exim, when this wasn't done, and each
host did have *one* primary host name.

However, some default may be needed for times when Exim uses
primary_host name not in connection with an incoming message.

Noted for the Wish List.