Re: [Exim-dev] Exim testing: User Mode Linux and umlsim

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: 'exim-dev@exim.org'
Subject: Re: [Exim-dev] Exim testing: User Mode Linux and umlsim
On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> I've been wondering about sketching out the required test environment in
> terms of services/hosts requirements - for example it needs:-
>       * DNS services including DNSBL

I run my own name server with a private zone containing test data.

>       * SMTP - to receive messages from exim, callback checks etc
>       * SMTP sender - something needs to send mail to exim :-)

In both those cases, I either use exim to send to and receive from
itself (you can do exciting things with macros in config files), or I
use my little "pretend to be a client/server" programs that can be made
to (mis)behave under script control.

>       * Databases  - lots of possibilities there...  Can we just check
>         the lookup mechanisms work and then not worry about further
>         tests (unless it needs to be r/w)

That's all I do; very simple tests too.

>       * Ident
>       * "Good" host sender - not on RBL
>       * "Bad" host sender - on RBLs etc

I use my test DNS zone for those kinds of test.

>       * Broken SMTP senders (no HELO, broken HELO, broken sender, SPAM
>         pump and dump (ie just send all commands in one block) etc

My little test programs can do that.

Philip