Re: [Exim] Address rewriting breakage

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Dave Turner
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Address rewriting breakage
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Dave Turner wrote:

> 55. While running the routers to verify a sender address, $sender_address
> was still set to the sender address. This is wrong, because when routing
> to send a bounce to the sender, it would be empty. Therefore, I have
> changed it so that, while verifying a sender address, $sender_address is
> set to <>. (There is no change to what happens when verifying a recipient
> address.)
>
> Firstly, I have made a patch (against the 4.32 source) which is available
> at http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~dct25/exim-4.32-rewrite.patch which seems
> to fix a problem with the sender being saved, then rewritten, then
> blanked, then restored to the original, unrewritten state. Now my mail
> will actually be accepted by another mailer, because the envelope-from
> address is now a valid, rewritten, email address.

I will take a more serious look at your patch; at first glance I'm not
sure what it does differently.

> However, the 'senders' option on a router still seems broken.

"Senders" is not going to be helpful for choosing a smarthost on a
router that is used to verify senders. The whole point of verifying a
sender is to check that you can send a bounce message to that sender.
Therefore, the routers should be (and, since 4.32 are) run with
sender=<> when verifying senders.

It sounds to me as if you have a complicated setup where using the same
routers for actual sending and for verifying doesn't work well. You can
make use of no_verify and verify_only to set up completely different
routers for the two cases.

Philip