Re: [Exim] Address rewriting breakage

Author: Dave Turner
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Address rewriting breakage
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Dave Turner wrote:

> On the the third line from the bottom, I would expect to have
> subject=dct25@???. 4.30 does this. 4.31 does not.
>
> I've had a brief look through the source but without much success -
> perhaps someone who knows their way around a bit better can help?

I've now had time to read the source some more. The issue seems to be with
the following entry in the 4.31 ChangeLog:

55. While running the routers to verify a sender address, $sender_address
was still set to the sender address. This is wrong, because when routing
to send a bounce to the sender, it would be empty. Therefore, I have
changed it so that, while verifying a sender address, $sender_address is
set to <>. (There is no change to what happens when verifying a recipient
address.)

Firstly, I have made a patch (against the 4.32 source) which is available
at http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~dct25/exim-4.32-rewrite.patch which seems
to fix a problem with the sender being saved, then rewritten, then
blanked, then restored to the original, unrewritten state. Now my mail
will actually be accepted by another mailer, because the envelope-from
address is now a valid, rewritten, email address.

However, the 'senders' option on a router still seems broken. I'm using
two manualroute routers, one to send mail to one smarthost from
dct25@??? and one to send mail originating from any other address to
another smarthost, or at least that is what I want to do. Because of
change #55, sender_address = <> throughout the which-router-shall-I-use
checks, which means that check_router_conditions() always checks for an
empty sender in the senders list.

Any ideas?

Dave

--