Re: [Exim] Exiscan-ACL 4.31-16, wrong SpamAssassin report

Author: Andreas M. Kirchwitz
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exiscan-ACL 4.31-16, wrong SpamAssassin report
[sorry for this late answer, but I postponed my mail and]
[then totally forgot to actually send it out to the list]
[because everything was working so perfectly fine ;-) ]

Steven Dickenson wrote:

Exiscan writes information to the headers of the message itself. It does
not use spamd to do so. It uses the default spam report for the
$spam_report variable. You're telling spamd to use the terse report if it
writes to the message, so it does. It doesn't overwrite the default report,
it just uses the terse one. Did that make sense? I've been up for a while.
;)

Ah, that's a very good point!

After further investigations, I now understand that "spamc" and
Exiscan work completely different in the way they use "spamd".

"spamc" also supports the option "-R" (or "-r") which seems to be
similar to the way Exiscan uses "spamd": It just prints the report,
but does not do anything with the message.

Because I use "report_safe 0" (which disables the report for "spamc"
and just adds the X-Spam-* headers), I never had to deal with the
"report" feature. With Exiscan, the situation is completely
different, because the headers are of no use, but the spam report
is the important feature. This confused me a lot. ;-)

Thanks for your answer (and thanks to the Adam D. Barratt and
Dominik Ruf as well). Now I got the point. It was also a good
chance to remove some obsoleted settings from my SA config. ;-)

    Greetings ... Andreas