[Exim] CNAMEs and MXes.

Author: Thomas Fini Hansen
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] CNAMEs and MXes.
I have an ACL rule that'll accept mail by @mx_primary and
@mx_secondary, but freeze the message when the server doesn't know
about the domain. So when someone calls in a panic at 2am Sunday
morning, I can just tell them to 'put our mailservers as MX, and
you'll get your mail on Monday.. *dut* *dut* *dut*'

It triggered today, on an oddity.

The mail was some spam, adressed to a message-id, on my home servers
hostname, but I wouldn't think that it should end up at the MX'es for
the domain.

% host -t mx mydomain.dk
homeserver.mydomain.dk  CNAME   mydomain.dk
mydomain.dk             MX      10 mx.workdomain.dk

So, if there's no MXes for a CNAME, it takes the ones from the A
record it's pointing to, instead of trying host delivery as I would
have expected.

Which RFC am I missing here?

--
Thomas