Re: [Exim] frozen after connect timeout

Author: Bruce Richardson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] frozen after connect timeout
On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 09:55:02AM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Mike Bethune wrote:
>
> > If connect_timeout option is not set (default of course) then exim
> > behaves normally, ie when a timeout occurs, it is properly deferred
> > and not frozen, log shows: defer (110): Connection timed out
> >
> > but if connect_timeout is set, the log shows: defer (-1): smtp
> > transport process returned non-zero status 0x000e: terminated by
> > signal 14 (and without below patch the message is frozen)
> >
> > My system is linux, kernel 2.4.20, glibc 2.2.4
> > But for the real problem, I guess the alarm handler set by sigaction()
> > isn't being set?
>
> Thanks for that additional information. I will pore over the relevant
> code and see if I can figure out what may be going wrong.

I see the same problem (linux, Debian woody running Exim 4.3.1). I had
two messages frozen on the queue by this bug just this morning.
Interestingly, they were both for .zw domains and when I retried them
(exim -d -Rff .zw), they were not frozen despite still timing out.

--
Bruce

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.