RE: [Exim] wishlist? quota for mbox delivery considering who…

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Eli
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: 'Dan Egli', 'Christian Balzer'
Υ/ο: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: RE: [Exim] wishlist? quota for mbox delivery considering whole directory
Dan Egli wrote:
>> What I'm trying to achieve is to have Exim take the whole current
>> directory into account for quota calculations (and not just the
>> "inbox" file) when doing single file mailbox deliveries.
>> Of course this would be lethal in a /var/spool/mail/user scenario,
>> but in this case we're talking about a /home/user/mail/inbox type
>> setup and all the other IMAP folders will be in the same directory
>> as the inbox (and thusly should be accounted towards the quota).
>>

> What's wrong with a FileSystem quota? If all users will have theikr
> mail in /home/user/mail/* then why not setup a quota on /home where
> the user gets X amount of disk space.

Probably the same reason that many others can't use filesystem quotas - if
you're serving email to clients on servers which are strictly for email
only, or even better - in an environment where you may have clustered
systems and store your data on a separate server than the actual mail
server, you wouldn't even consider creating an account for each and every
single email user. You'd probably cause problems with your /etc/passwd file
being too big or something!

The solution is a filesystem *like* quota system which works by directory
and not individual users. I wish this was an option when using system
quotas because it's just as useful as implementing per user quotas.

Eli.