Re: [Exim] Have anyone installed Open Webmail with exim?

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Tor Slettnes
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Ilan Aisic
Υ/ο: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] Have anyone installed Open Webmail with exim?
On Apr 8, 2004, at 05:01, Ilan Aisic wrote:

> I'd like to install Open Webmail in my site. The documentation at
> http://openwebmail.org/ only refers to sendmail and never mentions any
> other
> MTA. Has anyone installed it with exim?

I looked very briefly at the site, and must say that my inital
impression is that OpenWebMail is not too neatly encapsulated (in terms
of dependencies, etc).

For instance, it may consult Sendmail "Virtual User Tables" in the
login process.

Presumably, it does not _depend_ on such tables, and as such, you
should be able to use it with any MTA. Still...

I do expect a platform-agnostic WebMail application to depend on SMTP,
IMAP, and perhaps LDAP service, but not on "sendmail", "courier", and
"slapd".

> Any other webmail system that you recommend?

Some people like SquirrelMail. Simple, low overhead.

The Roxen Challenger web server comes with a WebMail plugin. I was
not too thrilled about it (or Roxen as a whole) though.

I use Horde/IMP (http://horde.org/imp/) - arguably the most common, and
certainly most complex, WebMail app. Some characteristics:
- It does not directly use LDAP for address books; instead, relies on
the "turba" (http://horde.org/turba/) contact manager.
- Tons of other plugins are available for Horde. For instance,
"Ingo" allows you to edit Sieve filters (a internet standard mail
filtering languge supported by Exim and the Cyrus POP3/IMAP server,
among others). "Troll" is an NNTP (NetNews) client. "ImapProxy" can
be used to create persistent IMAP connections from IMP, improving
performance over other WebMail apps.

-tor