Re: [Exim] Exim - 550 relaying to <user@host> prohibited by …

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim - 550 relaying to <user@host> prohibited by administrator
Hi Jonathan, on Wed, 07 Apr 2004 12:26:57 +0000 you wrote:

> I've even verified that I can send mail from the
> server itself. It just won't let me do it using a client outside of the
> server.

1. What Exim version?

2. How do you want to authenticate outside clients to send mail? You don't
want to allow just anyone to send mail or you will be an open relay. The
main options you have are to authenticate them by IP (if whoever you want
to relay has a static IP) or to authenticate using SMTP AUTH.

The Fine Manual has lots of explanation and documentation about
policy/relaying control in Exim. Exim (especially v4, which you should
upgrade to if you are running Exim 3) gives you very fine-grained control
over exactly what you allow in terms of relaying.

Tim