Re: bauer@dmsb.de - Die E-Mail weist bei den Adressen unters…

Author: Bruce Richardson
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: bauer@dmsb.de - Die E-Mail weist bei den Adressen unterschiedliche SMTP-"An:"- und MIME-"An:"-Felder auf. - Re: bauer@dmsb.de - Die E-Mail weist bei den Adressen unterschiedliche SMTP-"An:"- und M
On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 02:26:45PM +0200, Bauer, Felix wrote:

> After lunch I realized, that you are absolutely right... :]
> There shouldn't be a need to check at exim if the recipient is ok,
> it's just a mailrelay.

Erm, that's not what I said. What I said was that you can get Exim to
check the validity of recipients on incoming mail via smtp rather than
ldap (assuming that the Exchange server is configured to reject invalid
recipients).

It is much, much better for Exim to do this than to simply accept the
mail. If you do that, then you have to generate a Non Delivery Report
for the failed mail. Given that much spam forges real e-mail addresses
in the sender address, you then pester innocent people with useless mail
of your own.

If, in contrast, you reject invalid mail at the RCPT stage, you generate
no NDR at all (if the mail came to you via a relay, the relay will but
you can't do anything about that).

--
Bruce

Bitterly it mathinketh me, that I spent mine wholle lyf in the lists
against the ignorant. -- Roger Bacon, "Doctor Mirabilis"