Re: [Exim] Adding disclaimers to messages

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Exim Users
CC: David Allen
Subject: Re: [Exim] Adding disclaimers to messages
On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 10:37, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> The mta is not the best place to try adding a header. Back when all
> mail was simple text it wouldn't have been a problem but now that much
> if not most mail is MIME you have to parse each e-mail and (if it's
> MIME) break it down into constituent parts before adding the disclaimer.
> And how do you add the disclaimer, in that case? Do you add it as an
> extra text attachment or try adding it to an existing text attachment?
> What happens if the mail is digitally signed or encrypted?

All of this means that there is only one way you can safely add
disclaimers to the message body at the MTA level:-
        Delete all the message content, including all subparts,
        signatures etc, and replace with your disclaimer.

A suggested disclaimer would be:-
        This disclaimer has no legal effect whatsoever, but does show
        that the management at this institution wish to be seen to be
        doing something rather than allowing for the possibility of good
        sense elsewhere.

You need to handle this sort of thing either within the MUA and/or by
stated policy.

    Nigel.