Re: [Exim] local delivery troubles

Author: Michael Johnson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] local delivery troubles
On Apr 3, 2004, at 10:56 AM, Peter Bowyer wrote:

> Michael Johnson <kaiser@???> wrote:
>> 2004-04-03 09:48:16 HVLNFA-000M45-97 == michael@???
>> R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp defer (-53): retry time not reached for any
>> host
>>
>> It seems, according to the FAQ, that since my earlier attempts were
>> going to a misconfigured exim server, ALL the messages are in a retry
>> purgatory. So even though I just sent this message out, exim will not
>> retry until it thinks it should for all the messages to that host. Do
>> I understand that correctly?
>
> Yes. You can encourage it, though, with a command line such as
>
> # exim -qf

I think my other encouragements may have caused the problem in the
first place. =-)

>> Why then would a message sent from a completely different host not
>> make it?
>
> Doesn't matter where the messages is from - it's the destination host
> or MX
> which drives the retry pattern. Somewhat sensibly, exim won't try to
> deliver
> a new message if it knows from recent experience that an attempt to
> deliver
> another message to the same place failed.

I don't think I worded this well. I should have said that I tried to
send a message to my sick server from a completely different server,
thousands of miles away, which was running Netscape, not exim. That
message should have made it through.

I just got a bunch of messages from my local exim server (the one on
the same KVM), but still none from the remote server. This is
perplexing. Is it likely it got a message back saying it couldn't
deliver and the remote is holding it in queue?

-Michael

There will always be those who dare to take great risks. Rather than
mourn their loss, we should value their contributions.

            --Jesse Brown