Re: [Exim] Conatenation of Strings

Author: Craig Kelley
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Conatenation of Strings
John Jetmore said:
> On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Craig Kelley wrote:
>
>> Hello Everyone;
>>
>> I was looking at the new wildcard lookup operators in exim 4.3 and was
>> wondering what the best way to go about concatenating special characters
>> would be:
>>
>> data = ${lookup{$header_to:}wildlsearch{/etc/aliases-to}}
>>
>> In /etc/aliases-to I might have something like this:
>>
>> someone_here@???: should_go@???
>>
>> But then sometimes the To: header would have something like this:
>>
>> "Someone Here <someone_here@???>"
>
> I'm not sure if this was just a specific example of a larger problem, or
> the exact problem you are trying to solve. If it's the exact problem,
> use ${address:$header_to:} to extract the local_part@domain portion from
> the header, which can then be used to look up the exact string from your
> file.

Very nice, thank you -- that seems much cleaner. Is there a general way
construct new strings from various exim variables and static strings? I
know that some simple cases work fine when exim can see that a variable
name ends, and something else follows, that it can interpret what you mean
(eg, $local_part@???). But I'm not sure how you'd construct
other strings.

Thanks again,

-Craig