Re: [Exim] OT: Need some feed back on Exchange as an SMTP se…

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Bruce Richardson
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] OT: Need some feed back on Exchange as an SMTP server
On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 11:16:39AM -0600, Edgar Lovecraft wrote:
> Would you kindly let me know which Internet Protocols and features you are
> speaking of, and please list the version or versions of Exchange that go
> with those limitations.

IMAP was my particular focus. Both on the server and client side, the
IMAP implementation is not what it could be (e.g. support for namespaces
and shared folders).

> > Branching off on even more of a tangent, I'd like to take this
> > opportunity to rant about the paltry number of mail clients, commercial
> > or open source, that can use a database to store preferences and address
> > books.
>
> Most if any do not have SQL lookup types, but there is a very wide range of
> products that support LDAP for address-books and some that do so even for
> user prefrences. Only problem with LDAP address-books is that no one seems
> to agree completely on what the LDAP attributes should be, although things
> have been getting 'corrected' in that respect.

LDAP is effectively read-only. It's trivial to search any given LDAP
directory for e-mail addresses: you don't have to understand the
structure of the specific directory because you just do a subtree
search. But there is no standard for updating LDAP directories. So you
can't implement user addresbooks via LDAP (not via the e-mail client,
anyway). An ODBC database connection would be a different matter,
however. I'd be entirely happy if the designer of a GUI e-mail client
dictated the table structure they wanted to use, since I could fake it
with views.

> All Exchange user information is available over LDAP, are you suggesting
> that LDAP is a pseudo-database?

Read-only, see above.

--
Bruce