RE: [Exim] OT: Need some feed back on Exchange as an SMTP se…

Author: Edgar Lovecraft
To: exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] OT: Need some feed back on Exchange as an SMTP server
For those that have been making assumptions about the way an Exchange
Server operates, I would like to point you to some references so that you
may go and actually find out how the product works before you post.

Yes I do get more than a little put off by the general attitude of '*nix is
just better' and 'MS sucks' that go around, mainly because the statements
that are made by those with that attitude have no real working knowledge,
or real administrative knowledge of Microsoft products.

To the original poster of this thread, you asked a valid question and I
would very strongly suggest that you look over the majority of this
information if you are trying to answer questions from your customers
about Microsot Exchange.

Lastly, as has been stated by me and by Steven Dickenson, implementing
Exchange is no different than implenting any scallable, flexable, secure
MTA solution when done with planning by a knowledgable admin of the
product they are supporting.

For example, I could put Exchange in a poorly planed Active Directory
environment and have lots of problems, that is not because Exchange is bad,
just the implementation of it and the surounding products were. This is no
different than if I install Exim with a poorly implented MySql, or LDAP
user backend, Exim would suffer, but that is not the fault of Exim, just
the fault of the poorly planned environment it was put in. We see this
type of 'poor planning' and/or 'not understanding' on this list all of the
time, there is nothing wrong with that as you need to have some where that
you can learn, but should I ever want to 'make a case' againsts the
'problems' of Exim, it would not be that difficult to do by showing posts
on this list. One very good example that seems to come up quite a bit is
poor DNS implementations, is this Exim's fault? no of course not, Exim is
just fine, but the implementation was bad.

On the flip side of things, I am not a MySql admin, so I do not suggest to
others how they should implement, correct problems, or use MySql with Exim,
you will not see me post 'answers' to questions about such things as I do
not know, so please only give arguments of why an Exchange server is bad or
faulted when you can give real/verifiable information on those faults, as I
will ask you to back up those claims. As for any claim that I make about
Exchange ask me to back it up.

Information on Exchagne Server 2003 operation/capabilities:
www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/default.mspx
www.microsoft.com/exchange/techinfo/security/bestconfig2003.asp
support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;exch2003
www.microsoft.com/exchange/techinfo/security/ExSecurityBP.asp
www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluation/ex2003intro.asp
www.microsoft.com/exchange/techinfo/default.asp

--