Re: [Exim] Solaris, sendmail patches and Exim

Author: Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng
To: Richard.Hall
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Solaris, sendmail patches and Exim
On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Richard.Hall wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Having almost shot myself in the foot again, by applying sendmail patches

Yes, they come as part of patch clusters.

> to a Solaris box running Exim, I decided it was time to sort things out
> properly. The only previous discussion I could find in the archives is at
>
> http://www.exim.org/pipermail/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20000904/020731.html
>
> (plus a little bit of follow-up). Basically, the suggestion there is

These seem a little excessive to me, but ...

> a) save the bits of sendmail that might be needed

Always good.

> b) delete the SUNWsndmr and SUNWsndmu packages

I don't think you need to do this, see below.

> c) install Exim
> d) link /usr/lib/sendmail to exim
> e) sleep easier at night

All of those are recommended, as is the below advice about
/etc/init.d/sendmail

We were told by sun that these patches are not applied if
sendmail.cf does not exist. This failed once, so I raised
Case id: 36965266
about this asking them to ensure this was the case, or at least to
chech that the sendmail binary was sendmail.
So you can ask what happened.

> I have several questions
>
> 1) is this (still) the best way to achieve this?
> 2) are there any problems with it?
> 3) which bits of sendmail do I need to keep?
>
> Chris Thompson's original answer to (3) was
> - /etc/init.d and /etc/rc?.d scripts (at least as a basis for rolling

ours is in rc2.d/S88sendmail

>    ones' own; in fact I think the sendmail ones work surprisingly well for
>    Exim :-)
>  - /usr/bin/vacation (if needed; in our case probably not)

        [...]

> Have I missed anything?

Don't think so.

> TIA,