[Exim] Solaris, sendmail patches and Exim

Author: Richard.Hall
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Solaris, sendmail patches and Exim
Hello,

Having almost shot myself in the foot again, by applying sendmail patches
to a Solaris box running Exim, I decided it was time to sort things out
properly. The only previous discussion I could find in the archives is at

http://www.exim.org/pipermail/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20000904/020731.html

(plus a little bit of follow-up). Basically, the suggestion there is

a) save the bits of sendmail that might be needed
b) delete the SUNWsndmr and SUNWsndmu packages
c) install Exim
d) link /usr/lib/sendmail to exim
e) sleep easier at night

I have several questions

1) is this (still) the best way to achieve this?
2) are there any problems with it?
3) which bits of sendmail do I need to keep?

Chris Thompson's original answer to (3) was
- /etc/init.d and /etc/rc?.d scripts (at least as a basis for rolling
ones' own; in fact I think the sendmail ones work surprisingly well for
Exim :-)
- /usr/bin/vacation (if needed; in our case probably not)

to which I would add
- mailq (no, that's actually just a link to sendmail, so I guess I just
need to recreate that link)
- and nothing else of any use that I can see.

(The first candidate for this treatment is currently still running Exim 3,
but I can't see that that makes any difference to any of the above.)

Have I missed anything?

TIA,
Richard Hall