Re: [Exim] odd error after upgrade

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] odd error after upgrade
Hi Leonardo, on Wed, 31 Mar 2004 21:40:54 +0200 you wrote:

> 2004-03-31 21:31:03 1B8fyS-0007gn-7z User 0 set for address_reply
> transport is on the never_users list

You need to create an alias for "root" in your /etc/aliases file, or
equivalent. Even if in this case you didn't actually want the messages
sent to root, it would be a good idea to make sure that you *can* actually
send stuff to root.

> Such message are message caught by system filter and sent back due
> presence of .exe or .scr attachments.

I'm guessing this originates from Nigel's system_filter. If you are indeed
using that, please be careful to make sure that you're not "sending back"
e-mails to the supposed (fake) senders. (There's a good chance you are, at
least some of the time; why they're ending up on your root account in this
case I'm not sure, perhaps due to the configuration
options/routers/filters/whatever you have set)

With Exim 4.x, you have the excellent and widely-used option of Exiscan to
do additional policy-based rejection. You would be well advised to compile
Exim with the Exiscan patch included, and you can then do rejection based
on attachment type (and *much* more) reliably and without generating
spurious bounce messages.

Tim