Re: [Exim] Still errors in EXIM 4.30

Author: Odhiambo G. Washington
To: exim-users
CC: Silly Billy
Subject: Re: [Exim] Still errors in EXIM 4.30
* Silly Billy <learnlinux2000@???> [20040331 08:19]: wrote:
> Yea Derrick you are right config file of EXIM 4.30 in
> the routers section i have something like this:
>
> system_aliases:
> driver = redirect
> allow_fail
> allow_defer
> data = ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/etc/aliases}}
> user = mailnull
> group = mail
> file_transport = address_file
> pipe_transport = address_pipe
>
> the error is that it can't find the /etc/aliases or
> where ever my aliases are located
>
> BUT now when i change the location for data i.e.
>
> data = /etc/aliases (position of my aliases file)
>
> then send mail to my local user it show this type of
> error ... (using Red hat 8.0 OS)

Hello Silly Billy,

First, you may need to ask yourself : What is an alias file used for?
Simply put, it is used for address mapping. The rest is for you to find
out.
As I told you earlier, many unix systems have this file somewhere and
it does have some defaults which you really should look at even before
you launch your MTA (Exim in this case). If you really don't know what
this file is about or even how to create one, then you should _NOT_
dare start Exim until you find out the details about this file. I'm
not being hard on you. It's only that it would appear to everyone that
you haven't even tried to read any documents that come with exim.

If you really _MUST_ run exim without knowing what an aliases file is,
the login as root and do the following:

touch /etc/aliases
chmod 640 /etc/aliases

There is also another command called "find" which is available on most
Unix-based systems. To get where some file, existing on your system,
lives, you can do

find / -name filename

So try this one:

find /etc -name aliases

-Wash

    |\      _,,,---,,_     | Odhiambo Washington    <wash@???>
Zzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_ | Wananchi Online Ltd.   www.wananchi.com
   |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'| Tel: +254 20 313985-9  +254 20 313922
  '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)     | GSM: +254 722 743223   +254 733 744121
Experience varies directly with equipment ruined.