Re: [Exim] exim 4 and multiple alias files

Author: David W Smith
To: Odhiambo Washington
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim 4 and multiple alias files
On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

> * David W Smith <dwsmith@???> [20040330 12:06]: wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > Does anyone else have any thoughts on/ideas about pointing exim to more
> > than one alias file (in this case one containing mailing list aliases)?
>
> The mailman list should be transparent to Exim, so there is no need for
> alias files. If you really need alias files, let's hear what you need
> them for.

--- Interesting. For each mailing list created with mailman 2.1.4 10
aliases are produced, which have to be pasted into your alias file in
order to complete the list creation. I have 45 mailing lists and thus 450
entries in my alias file (I use NIS). Thus my thinking was to move these
450 aliases out of the NIS alias file and into their own such file, and
point exim at it via amending its config file. Now you seem to be saying
that I can dispense with my 450 mailman aliases. But I have tried
removing the aliases for one list, after which sending to that list
failed. So it would seem the aliases need to be placed somewhere. Thus
I was wondering if a router like the one belong would do the job.

mailman_aliases:
driver = redirect
allow_fail
allow_defer
data = ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/local/etc/mm-aliases}}
user = mailman
file_transport = address_file
pipe_transport = address_pipe

David Smith