Re: [Exim] port 25 blocking

Author: Kevin Reed
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] port 25 blocking
Suresh Ramasubramanian said:
> [3/27/2004 10:09 AM] Kevin Reed :
>
>> That server using Exim listens on both 25 and 2025 for smtp traffic and
>> knows that anything routed back to my home server needs to go via 2025.
>
> What problem do you have with using the rfc mentioned / well known port
> 587 (the MSA port)?

No problem at all... If I were an Internet service provider that provided
public access to email, then I most likely would use that port. but since
I'm not really in the business of providing public mail access except for
my own company and some of its clients, I choose a non-standard port.

It is just as easy to select 2025 as it is 587 and that port is not
expected for traffic from other mail servers anyway.

In the other installations that I manage, they don't allow anything but
port 25 since they are mainline mail servers only and don't cater to
remote user traffic, just regular mail servers.

Remote access is via a separate dialup or VPN connection that does not go
through the main Internet mail servers.

--
Kevin W. Reed - TNET Services, Inc.
Unoffical Exim MTA Info Forums - http://exim.got-there.com/forums