Re: [Exim-dev] So young and already dead?

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Tony Finch
To: Nico Erfurth
CC: 'exim-dev@exim.org'
Betreff: Re: [Exim-dev] So young and already dead?
On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Nico Erfurth wrote:

> Just wondering why nothing happens here anymore. :-/

Not much can happen until the new infrastructure is in place. The current
state of play is as follows:

(1) The new box should arrive next week, and I'll get it installed and
running. Its canonical name will be sesame.csx.cam.ac.uk, since it's a
general open development server (not just for Exim) and it's a Computing
Service externally-accessible machine.

(2) Backups will be done via our email system's backup server and tape
robot.

(3) Move existing exim.org infrastructure over. This will be mostly
Nigel's job, with assistance from me. The current web site and
configuration is kept in CVS on Sourceforge, so it may well be the first
thing in the new repository (see below). Nigel is planning upgrades to
Mailman and the list archives, and improvements to the maintenance of
various parts of the web site (which may provide opportunities for
contributors).

(4) Primary FTP server, to take over from ftp.csx (which will remain as a
mirror). Also rsync and cvsup servers for web site and repository
mirroring.

(5) Bugzilla. John Hall has offered to help with the setup. We can either
have a separate bug-update notifications list, or send them to the -dev
list. The SpamAssassin team do the latter, and this seems to keep them
quite focussed on the bug database: e.g. that's where they conduct
discussion about particular patches/sugegstions etc, while using their
-dev list for higher-level planning and co-ordination.

At this is where we start to impinge upon the development process. Perhaps
readers of the -dev list will volunteer to transfer the WishList into
bugzilla. As well as being necessary itself, this would allow us to shake
out setup niggles, and identify people who are serious about contributing.
It would also be a chance to spring-clean the Wish List, and amalgamate
some of the idea which could go together.

(6) CVS repository. This will include bits and pieces for sending commit
messages to a source changes mailing list, and cvsweb or viewcvs for
browsing it. (I won't have time to look at svn properly before getting
things up and running, but we'll be able to migrate to it without too much
trouble -- various Apache projects seem to be doing this successfully.)

(7) Seed the repository with old Exim releases, as a sort of mini Exim
history project. Not sure if it's worth going back as far as possible or
just starting with Exim 4.00. This depends on how much the layout of the
distribution has changed over time.

How development moves over to this new setup is for Philip to decide, and
it probably won't happen for a while yet. Until then feel free to discuss
personal transportation housing coloration to your hearts' content :-)

--
Tony Finch <dot@???> http://dotat.at/