Re: [Exim-dev] So young and already dead?

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Nico Erfurth
To: Edgar Lovecraft
CC: 'exim-dev@exim.org'
Betreff: Re: [Exim-dev] So young and already dead?
Edgar Lovecraft wrote:

> It appears to me that most of the talk on this list have been revolving
> around the current exim release, is this really what we want?

Yes, I think so.

> In other words, how about taking this approach, let the current exim 4.xx
> continue to be developed as it is by Phillip, as he has done in the past.
> Take the new hardware/software that the University said it would supply and
> start on the Exim 5.x software release on that, and with multiple
> developers. Not that 'old' code could not/should not be a part of the

No I think that splitting the development would do more harm than good.
IMHO, first exim4 should be made "feature-complete". I mean, check the
WishList, think about what really should be done, remove items that are
just insane, useless or doable in some other way with current features.

Stuff that isn't compatible with exim4, or needs major changes, should
be moved from the WishList, into some seperate file (like the change in
router preconditions, that should be evaluated in order of occurence).

> development, but it seems to me it would be easier 'to start from scratch'
> than to move a fully developed project to the herds.
> Thoughts anyone?

How do you think about "First things first"?
The question is, WHO wants to be involved with exim development and HOW
should it be coordinated.

Nico