Re: [Exim] Greylisting + multiple MX hosts -> multiple attem…

Author: Walt Reed
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] Greylisting + multiple MX hosts -> multiple attempts
On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 12:05:14AM +0000, Bruce Richardson said:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 04:01:43PM -0500, chris@??? wrote:
> > I would like to see that. But the whole point here is that spamware
> > doesn't make the effort that legitimate systems make to send a
> > message. It's the same reason why telemarketers don't try a number
> > four or five times just to make sure that the number actually is a bad
> > number. If the number fails once, it is removed from the system.
>
> Not the same. Telemarketers are paying human beings to do the calling.
> Having an mta retry an e-mail address is a trivial expense, in
> comparison.

Um, a little off topic, but telemarketers use predictive dialers. They
will frequently try again and again and again automatically trying to
find a human home (you know when they use them - frequent hangups, dead
air, delays before a human answers.) I have callerID evidence from a
telemarketing company in Phoenix that our local newspaper hired to
harras our community to support this.