Re: [Exim] Greylisting + multiple MX hosts -> multiple attem…

Author: chris
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] Greylisting + multiple MX hosts -> multiple attempts
> Current spamware tools typically retry right away (without waiting) --
> the Greylisting white paper has some wording to the effect of flagging
> IP addresses from which such repeated attempts are made as possibly
> spamming hosts, to be included (temporarily) in some sort of RBL.

I would like to see that. But the whole point here is that spamware
doesn't make the effort that legitimate systems make to send a
message. It's the same reason why telemarketers don't try a number
four or five times just to make sure that the number actually is a bad
number. If the number fails once, it is removed from the system.

> Spamware typically does NOT cache the mail for repeated attempts later
> - doing so for thousands of recipient addresses puts too much of a
> burden on the spamming machines. Spammers care about getting their
> message out to as many people as possible with as little resources as
> possible - if they run into any low-scale problems, they ingore them
> and move on.

Graylisting seems to be like a Telezapper for spam. Based on personal
experience, I know that the Telezapper works very well.

Chris