Re: [Exim] Greylisting + multiple MX hosts -> multiple attem…

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Edgar Lovecraft
CC: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] Greylisting + multiple MX hosts -> multiple attempts
On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Edgar Lovecraft wrote:

> I thought the entire idea for greylisting is that 'spamers do not retry',

Not only...

> so why do the Greylisting Docs suggest such a long period of time before
> the accept??

RTFM - See http://projects.puremagic.com/greylisting/ under the
subheading "Basic Configuration Parameters", where it says "The
initial delay of 1 hour was picked for several reasons:".

You might or might not agree with those reasons, but they seem at
least plausible to me. I'm not criticising what Aber are doing - just
taking a look to see if the resulting (small but unnecessary) network
overheads could be reduced.

cheers