Re: [Exim] Greylisting + multiple MX hosts -> multiple attem…

Author: Edgar Lovecraft
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] Greylisting + multiple MX hosts -> multiple attempts
Alan J. Flavell wrote:

..[snip]...

> Maybe I'm making this overly complicated (it's happened before ;-) by
> trying to avoid the MTA causing pointless extra network traffic in such
> a situation. I suppose I should just let it take its natural course.
> But for a 60min greylisting, for example, it means (at our initial 15min
> retry interval) about 4 rounds of retries, times the number of IP
> addresses in the MX lookups, i.e in this case a dozen retry
> transactions.

I thought the entire idea for greylisting is that 'spamers do not retry',
so why do the Greylisting Docs suggest such a long period of time before
the accept??
Ah well, greylisting is a nice idea, I have just not figured out what a
good balance for its use would be yet, and I do not think that all email
should be greylisted "just because".
Not that I am trying to pick a fight by the way ;)
--

--EAL--