Re: [Exim] (no subject)

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] (no subject)
Hi Scott, on Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:48:34 -0500 you wrote:

> Did that, it scrolls my que by, however i dont know how to look back or
> show it one page at a time to see the previous ones.

I think you may need to read up on some basic UNIX admin before you get
going too heavily then. An easy (and general) way would be:

mailq | less

> Also, if there is something in the que, how do I bump it on its way.

exim -M <message-id>, where you get the "message-ID" from the queue list.

For example, here is what an entry from the queue might look like:

73m  3.2K 1B5Wff-0003si-A0 <> *** frozen ***
          user@???

In this case, the message-ID is "1B5Wff-0003si-A0".

However, in normal operation (if it's set up right), a "queue runner" will
run every so often and keep trying to push out messages on the queue
(subject to retry times etc.). So, if something's stuck, there is probably
a reason for it, and pushing it manually may well not do anything useful.

If it's installed, you would probably find viewing and manipulating queues
easier using the graphical tool "eximon", which is simple but gives easy
access to common functions (e.g. look at headers/bodies, remove messages,
kick messages etc.).

If you're just getting started with Exim, you would also be well advised
to download the comprehensive documentation from ftp.exim.org (you can get
it in many formats including a convenient PDF) and familiarise yourself
with some of the basic concepts. This can be a bit heavy-going though, so
there is a book available to buy.

Are you using Exim 3.x or 4.x? They are hugely different. If you're on 3.x
but are just getting started, it would be well worth planning to upgrade
to 4.x as soon as possible rather than having to learn lots of out of date
stuff on 3.x and then relearn it all for 4.x.

Tim