Re: [Exim] May I cause SMTP delay for spammers (a.k.a. teerg…

Author: Tor Slettnes
To: Suresh Ramasubramanian
CC: Edgar Lovecraft, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] May I cause SMTP delay for spammers (a.k.a. teergrubing)?
On Mar 20, 2004, at 20:04, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> Tor Slettnes writes on 3/21/2004 9:29 AM:
>> Valid point, but I use Exim in its default mode, not allowing
>> pipelining. Hosts that try will be met with a "synchronization
>> error"
>> in any case. :)
>
> what do you mean "exim's default mode does not allow pipelining"

Sorry, brainfart on my end.

I see a lot of sychronization errors in the logs, which comes from
clients that try pipelining without being allowed to. That, though,
turns out to be because these clients did not issue an EHLO greeting
first.

Edgar, you are right, if a client does proper pipelining, _and_ I
detect a serious problem in the MAIL, RCPT, or DATA commands, they
would be subject to multiple (up to 3) 20s delays before receiving any
response.

As said by Lord Farquad (sp?) in "Shrek": [Some of you may die, but]
that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

-tor