[Exim] central_filter / check_local_user - "bad owner" probl…

Author: Tom Stockton
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] central_filter / check_local_user - "bad owner" problem
Hello

I have setup a filter as per section 40.8 in the documentation, my
router is as follows

central_filter:
driver = redirect
domains = +local_domains
file = /usr/exim/system-filter
no_verify
allow_filter
allow_freeze
check_local_user
directory_transport = address_directory

/usr/exim/system-filter has permissions:

-rwxr-xr-x    1 mail     users         116 Mar 18 17:56
/usr/exim/system-filter

(exim runs as user 'mail')

The problem I am having is that exim doesn't seem to like the
system-filter file not being owned by $local_user_uid, I get the
following error message

R=central_filter defer (-1): bad owner for /usr/exim/system-filter

However if I change system-filter to be owned by $local_user_uid then
all works fine.

I could just use a .forward file for each user, however I would prefer
to have just one filter file rather than x identical forward files for x
number of users.

Any advice much appreciated.

Regards

Tom Stockton