Re: [Exim] log statement clarification

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Edgar Lovecraft
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] log statement clarification
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Edgar Lovecraft wrote:

> Just for clarification as I cannot find this in the manual...
> for some message that have delivery failures there is an 'error ignored'
> log
> line shortly followed by a 'Completed' log line, as near as I can tell this
> is because I have exim configured to ignore return messages that have
> delivery failures etc, and thus are 'Completed' (ignored/deleted/so-on).
> This seems as it should, I am just looking for some clarification on when
> the 'error ignored' lines are logged by exim.

It happens when Exim has just failed to deliver a bounce message whose
age is greater than ignore_bounce_errors_after.

It can also happen if a filter file uses the "noerror" feature when
setting up a delivery.

It can also happen if a router uses "errors_to = <>".

> Perhaps the manual/FAQ could be updated for this information as well.

Noted.

> If this is explained in the manual could someone please point me to the

Some bits of it are hinted at...