Re: [Exim] Compile options - SMP and min processes

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Thomas Fini Hansen
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: SSugg lists
Kopio: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [Exim] Compile options - SMP and min processes
(Arg, get bitten by the no-reply-munging every time. CC back to list)

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 11:27:12PM -0800, SSugg lists wrote:
> Thanks for responding.
>
> We're running v4.30.
>
> 1) The SMP part was just something someone told me to look for when
> compiling Exim on multi-processor systems. It could have been completely
> wrong.

It's just a guess, but I'd assume that Exims architecture takes care
of it aready, but someone else will know more.

> 2) I check the number of running processes using ps -ef | grep exim. After
> the initial startup of 5 processes, it eventually drops. I would like to
> have 5-10 running at all times and have it increase if needed.

Whyfor? I know Apache keeps ready childs around, but email isn't quite
as latency sensitive.

> 3) By looking at the logs, I can tell that it is doing DNS validations and
> then virus scans before it ever confirms that the user is even valid. The
> logs will say that the mail to invalid account from user/domain X is in
> blacklist, domain not valid, etc. I would like to stop it before it even
> goes that far. I want the email rejected because the user didn't exist.
> There is no need to waste the bandwidth of all of the outside partners for
> an account that doesn't even exist. I've also seen in our virus logs that
> mail to an invalid user had a virus. This means that it did the spam and
> DNS check, then a virus check, and only now is determining that the user is
> invalid.

Take a closer look at the ACLs. It can't virus scan before the DATA
ACL, and most setups check for existence already at RCPT.

--
Thomas
beast@???