Re: [Exim] Simple(?) newbie problem ...

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Tor Slettnes
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Kamran Remin
Kopio: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [Exim] Simple(?) newbie problem ...
On Mar 16, 2004, at 07:42, Kamran Remin wrote:
> please take a look at my (simple?) problem:

Though the problem may be simple, it is nonetheless a bit unclear.

> Let's say i have a domain called foo.org [...]

... at a hosting provider, outside your control?

> and i get mail from there by using fetchmail and deliver them to my
> localexim. I configured exim saying that foo.org is a local domain
> (That's Ok isn't it?)

Maybe.
- If foo.org exlusively yours?
- Do you want all mails sent to <anyone@???> delivered to your
local machine?

If the answer to both is "yes", you should be able to use 'foo.org' as
your mailname. If not, pick another one (e.g. "home.foo.org").

> On my exim-server, i created login accounts for all users with an
> email-address at foo.org. When i send an email to somebody@??? (
> suppose he is an external user that takes uses the smtp and pop service
> of my provider hosting foo.org ) [...]

... wait, this is where I am confused.

You are saying that _some_ users with address @foo.org will _not_ be
accessing your box to retreive their mail?

If so, you cannot use 'foo.org' as the mail name of your local machine.

(More precisely, you _could_, but you would then also have to create
"hacky" mail aliases for non-local users, in /etc/aliases:
     nonlocaluser: nonlocaluser@???
You would need to point "upstream.foo.org" to your hosted machine.
This is not a good way to proceed, in any case).

> exim thinks that the user has to be
> local, tries to lookup somebody, but since there is no shell account
> for
> him, exim says something like unknown user.

Yep.

> Now my questions:
> 1. How can i avoid creating a user account on the server running exim
> for each user?

In your case, you don't want to use 'foo.org' as your local mail name;
you want to forward mails for <anyone@???> to your hosted machine.

> 2. How can i configure exim, so that emails for somebody@??? (and
> all other not local users) are delivered?

Same answer.

> I googled a bit, but could not find a hint. Could somebody give me a
> hint?

Same answer.

-tor