Re: [Exim] Re: stmp protocol violation, synchronization erro…

Author: Edgar Lovecraft
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: stmp protocol violation, synchronization error, input sent
Mick Swisher wrote:

..[snip]...

> 2004-03-15 01:02:57 SMTP protocol violation: synchronization error
> (input sent without waiting for greeting): rejected connection from
> H=adsl-66-141-211-211.dsl.tulsok.swbell.net [66.141.211.211]

..[snip]...

--
The IP address belongs to bell, but the email errors do not, that is why
they are giving you the run around (they should just so, but it seems some

If you have any kind of delay (including ident) then EXCLUDE this address
from any type of check that would delay the initial SMTP banner after
the TCP connect is made. I have seen, rather more than I would like,
'cheap??expensive??' MTA software designed for small businesses that is
just plain broken or misconfigured OTB on how long they wait for
confirmation of commands amongst other things... (it seems that somewhere
along the line, a whole bunch of software developers think anything longer
than 30 seconds is too long and must mean that an error has occured :)
The 30 second time wait is why I mention the ident checks, exim does this
by default, just set it to 15 sec or less (or 0 to turn off) and I would
wager that if you do no other delay before the SMTP Banner the server would
connect properly.
--EAL--