Re: [Exim] speed of lookup types

Author: Avleen Vig
To: Joshua Alexander
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] speed of lookup types
On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 10:06:03PM -0500, Joshua Alexander wrote:
> For example, is there any significant performance difference between
> dsearch and lsearch (assuming a fairly small lsearch file)? And what
> about the difference in overhead between accessing the filesystem for
> an lsearch versus connecting to mysql for a query lookup?

Different expenses. Better to use PostgreSQL (or at least INNODB on
mysql) which isn't locking.
You're competing with two problems on flat file DB's:
Locking
Linear search speeds

> I think I like the idea of storing info in a database rather than
> flat files, but if it's worth it to use other lookup types, I'm
> willing. So what do you think, does it matter?

I think it matters. But you should try tdb which others have said is
significantly better than BDB - BDB which iirc is the default, requires
full-file locking to write, which TDB can lock individual records (I
think). It should be faster from the locking perspective.

--
Avleen Vig
Systems Administrator