[Exim-dev] Bits and pieces

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Phil Pennock
To: exim-dev
Betreff: [Exim-dev] Bits and pieces
Hi,

I've been reading through the document on the future of Exim. It's
very informative, as we've come to expect from the quality of Exim's
documentation. When I think about the future, I'm worried that I've
taken that doc quality too much for granted. :^/

As regards the C standard coding ... the contrasting examples of
operator comparison have inverted meanings. "if (!p)" is probably meant
for some. And the reason for using "*p = '\0'" is that some less common
architectures don't necessarily use the same bit-pattern to represent a
null pointer and the ASCII NUL character. I've never had to use such a
platform and doubt that Exim needs to worry about it though.
(Personally, I prefer the '\0' simply because it shows that the author
knew which they were dealing with; updating that has shown me bugs with
other peoples' pointer arithmetic in the past).

We're currently looking at some overhauls to our mail-system, for
efficiency purposes. We have most of it fairly well designed and are
approaching the stage where we'll start programming. One part of the
changes involves a new extension to the appendfile transport, to be able
to create an extra "flag" file with some data encoded in it. How likely
is it that this sort of unusual feature would make it back into the
upstream code-base? Will it be more or less favourably received if it
uses #ifdef wrappers, given that it will preserve existing default
behaviour and will require setting a transport option to activate?

Thanks,
--
Phil Pennock,  Senior Systems Administrator,  Demon Internet Netherlands
NL Sales: +31 20 422 20 00      Thus Plc      NL Support: 0800 33 6666 8