Re: [Exim] Timing out local mailbox deliveries.

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Stephen Fulton
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Timing out local mailbox deliveries.
On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Stephen Fulton wrote:

> My NFS store is experiencing occassional overloads, and when this occurs
> simultaneous with a local mailbox delivery by Exim, that process does not
> time out, essentially hanging. I have worked on the NFS server and mail
> server client to ameliorate this as best as possible until I get a new
> NetApp, but in the meantime I would like to know if Exim has the ability to
> time out when a delivery takes too long (ie. longer than 60 seconds). Is
> it possible?

There is no facility for timing out local deliveries to files, as I
never considered this possibility. However, it is something that would
be very easy to add, because the common "write message" code has timeout
facilities for other forms of delivery.

If you have compiled Exim from source, you could try the following hack:

At the start of the appendfile_transport_entry() function, around line
1199 in src/transports/appendfile.c in the 4.30 code, insert the line

transport_write_timeout = 60;

I have not tested this (hard to find a way to test it, in fact!) but it
might just do the trick.