Re: [Exim] strange behaviour of relay

Author: Giuliano Gavazzi
To: Jonas Meurer, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] strange behaviour of relay
At 1:39 am +0100 2004/03/08, Jonas Meurer wrote:
>hello,
>
>i'm using an exim4 in debian/testing as relay, and configured both relay
>and my workstation exim to communicate via smtp-auth. this seems to work
>well, and i thought that exim accepts _every_ from: header, hostname,
>ipaddress, rcpt, etc. per default if it's beeing used as relay through
>smtp
>auth with tls.
>i'm pretty sure that it uses tls since the logs of relay say:
>2004-03-08 01:14:49 1B08Px-0006eZ-CB <= jonas@???
>H=pd9e9cf97.dip0.t-ipconnect.de (nazgul.resivo.net) [217.233.207.151]
>U=Debian-exim P=asmtp X=TLS-1.0:RSA_ARCFOUR_SHA:16 A=login_server:jonas
>S=715 id=20040308001528.GI3836@???

[...]
>now the problem:
>normally the transport of mail works nice, but not always. some mails
>are rejected by relay for reasons i don't understand.
>for example:
>2004-03-08 00:56:19 H=pd9e9cf97.dip0.t-ipconnect.de (nazgul.resivo.net)
>[217.233.207.151] U=Debian-exim F=<jonas@???> rejected RCPT
><mejo@???>: relay not permitted

you'll presumably find few lines back the reason why AUTH did not work.

>after changing the sys user mailing from at my workstation most new
>mails are accepted by relay, but after some testmails, it restarts
>rejecting mails for senceless reasons and without any orderliness.

Are you using Pam to authenticate users? Is that set up properly?
(someone wrote the proper module to use in linux, I don't know much
about it as in MacOSX it is unnecessary).

[...]

Giuliano
--
H U M P H
    || |||

Java & C++ Server/Client/Human Interface applications on MacOS - MacOS X
http://www.humph.com/